(I’ve included affiliate links for your convenience. I earn a small percentage from a purchase using these links. There is no additional cost to you, and I appreciate any support. You can read more about affiliate links here)
The Cat is an Amazing Animal!
Cat Facts: Here are some quick facts about felines.
- The cat has two vocal cords, and it is able to make over 100 different sounds.
- Cats nose pads are ridged in a unique individual pattern, like human fingerprints.
- A cat’s heart beats at 110 to 140 beats per minute. This is twice as fast as the human heart.
- Cats have 30 teeth. They have 12 incisors, 10 premolars, 4 canines, and 4 molars.
- Calico (tortiseshell) cats are almost always female.
- The domestic cat is the only species of cat that is able to hold its tail vertical while walking. Wild cats hold their tails horizontal, or tucked between their legs.
- A cat’s normal body temperature is 101.5 degrees, which is slightly warmer than a humans.
- One pair of cats and their kittens can produce up to 420,000 kittens in only 7 years.
- Cats have 290 bones in their body
- Cats have 517 muscles in their body .
- Cats are partially color-blind. They have the equivalency of human red-green color blindness. Reds appear as green and greens appear as red.
- Cats need only 1/6th the amount of light to see, that a human does.
- Cats can see up to 120 feet.
- Cats peripheral vision is around 285 degrees.
- Cat’s ear can pivot 180 degrees.
- Cats have 30 muscles in each of their ears.
- Cats have 5 more vertebrae in their spinal column than a human.
- Backward-pointing spikes on a cat’s tongue aid in their grooming.
- 40% of cats are ambidextrous while another 40% are either right-pawed or left-pawed.
- A cat has more bones than a human; humans have 206, but the cat has 230 (some cites list 245 bones, and state that bones may fuse together as the cat ages).
- The cat has 500 skeletal muscles
- Cats have 32 muscles that control the outer ear (compared to human’s 6 muscles each). A cat can rotate its ears independently 180 degrees, and can turn in the direction of sound 10 times faster than those of the best watchdog.
- Cats’ hearing is much more sensitive than humans and dogs
- Almost 10% of a cat’s bones are in its tail, and the tail is used to maintain balance.
Check out this Cute Cat Facts Book for Kids
I hope you enjoyed learning some interesting cat facts.